These fun turkey skewers are perfect for smaller (and safer) holiday gatherings. They’re the centerpiece pof our Simple Holiday Feast for Four by Chef Jes Tantalo. Feel free to use a pre-boned turkey breast (or even chicken if your party is a tiny one), or get tips on boning your bird from EO’s Kendra Lott in this video. Ours browned up nicely on the My Hibachi Grill from Southeast Steel to cook our skewers, but they work just great on a regular gas or charcoal grill, too.
Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Turkey Skewers
Serves 4 to 6
4-5 pound bone-in turkey breast
24 bamboo or reusable metal skewers
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- If using bamboo skewers, soak in water warm water for 10 minutes. Remove skin from breast in one piece if possible.
- In a small saucepan, cover turkey skin with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Drain, divide into 4 equal lengthwise slices and set aside.
- Meanwhile, using the tip of a chef’s knife or paring knife and working away from the bone, remove the breast meat from one side of the large bone in the center. Cut the large
- “tender” from the bottom of the breast, remove the white tendon running down the middle and cut lengthwise into two pieces. Cut the remaining breast meat into slices the same width as the slices of ten-der. Repeat with other breast. (Reserve bones for stock.)
- Thread each piece of turkey or turkey skin onto a skewer and place on sheet tray (you should have 20 to 24 skewers). Brush evenly with oil, and place on hot grill or flattop with plenty of space between and ends of skewers away from direct heat. Grill 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned and cooked through, flipping and rotating for even browning.
- Remove to a platter and serve immediately with individual bowls of Florida Citrus Salt and Florida Cranberry Glaze. (The Maple Mustard Dressing from the cabbage is delicious on the turkey, too.)