Maybe it’s a sign of covid times that the new Mac & Cheese Global Marketplace at the Taste of Epcot International Food & Wine Festival is the one everyone is talking about. Admit it: the cheesy goodness is pure comfort on a plate.
While there are marketplace versions with lobster, Buffalo chicken and plant-based sausage, the straight-up gourmet mac and cheese was our favorite.
The secret is the garlicky Boursin cheese and crunchy panko topping. And while the recipe calls for nearly a whopping pound of Boursin, we tried it at home without adding the extra dollop on top and liked it better (so a third less Boursin). To each his own.
This makes a big batch, but, trust us, it’s worth sharing. And delish left over, cold, right out of the fridge. Click here to hear about our other festival faves.
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup panko
Coarse salt, to taste
Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese
16-ounces cavatappi pasta or elbow macaroni
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
8 cups whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 pound white cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 pound yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
3 (5.2-ounce) Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese wheels, divided
Coarse salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
For toasted panko:
Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add panko and stir until combined. Toast in pan for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Remove from heat; salt to taste. Set aside.
For macaroni and cheese:
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain well. Set aside and keep warm.
- Melt butter in 5-quart saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a blonde roux, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add milk, garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard powder and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes, until thickened.
- Fold in both shredded cheddar cheeses and 2 Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese wheels. Blend with immersion blender until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Add hot, cooked pasta with cheese sauce and mix until combined. Divide evenly into 6-8 bowls.
- Cut remaining Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese wheel into 6-8 pieces or crumble into a small dish.
- Top macaroni and cheese with panko and Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese pieces or crumbles.
- Serve immediately.