This recipe for vegan donuts is courtesy of California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. They’re delicious with blueberry preserves, and apple butter would certainly not be wrong. Either way, these vegan donuts will taste best when they’re still warm, and would make a special Valentine’s Day breakfast for kids, or anyone who loves a sweet treat in the morning.
Looking for more brunch ideas? We have plenty!
Makes 24-36 donuts
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup liquid drained from canned chickpeas
5 teaspoons ground flaxseed
1 1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut oil
6 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar, plus more for topping
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine water and yeast in bowl of electric mixer fitted with dough hook. Rest for 5 minutes, until yeast is frothy.
- Whisk chickpea brine and ground flaxseed in medium bowl. Add to water and yeast. Add coconut milk, coconut oil, flour, sugar, and salt to mixing bowl. Mix on low speed until soft dough ball forms. Increase to medium-high speed and knead for 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough to large bowl coated with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature for 90 minutes, until double in size. Place parchment paper on 2 baking pans and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place dough on large board covered with flour, roll to 1/4-inch thickness, and cut with desired size donut cutter. Place cut donuts on prepared baking pans. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 15 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Heat oil to 350°F. Add donuts and cook for 1-2 minutes, until browned on one side, then flip and brown on other side. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Coat with sugar while still warm.